Notably Don Draper’s signature drink in Mad Men, but the Old Fashioned has been a very popular cocktails since the 1800’s. In 1806 a cocktail was defined as “a stimulating liquor, composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water and bitters” and that pretty much sums up an Old Fashioned. It was frequently known simply as Whiskey Cocktail and it wasn’t until1880 that the name ‘Old Fashioned’ was coined in the Chicago Tribune.
There are a number of takes on an Old Fashioned from Mezcal Old Fashioned to a Brandy Old Fashioned (apparently very popular in Wisconsin) and many bartenders would include a dash of soda water in the cocktail, which in my opinion it drastically changes the taste!.
- 60ml Eagle Rare Bourbon
- 7ml Sugar Syrup (I used Monin)
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- Orange Peel
- Add a handful of ice to a cocktail mixing glass (or pint glass)
- Add in the bourbon, bitters and sugar syrup and mix for 2-3 minutes
- Strain into a tumbler with 1-2 big ice cubes
- Squeeze orange peel over the top